A ridiculous thought, isn't it?
Emails are a mundane and routine part of corporate life.
Most are short and many of us send and receive hundreds of them daily.
Business today cannot progress without them.
But what if your emails routinely elicit a groan from their recipients, so much so that they flag them for ‘later', and then often don't even open them?
Does this mean that you miss out on important responses, and also get a reputation for being frustrating to work with, sloppy in your thinking and someone who takes a long time to get things done?
Where does this leave your career?
This was the experience of a client this week who was stunned at the difference that changing her emailing style could create.
She found that by starting with just a short introduction (perhaps just one sentence for a short email) and then getting to her key point straight away the response time rocketed and she
- No longer had to chase people to get the information that she needed to do her job
- Completed her work more quickly
- Enjoyed doing her work so much – much – more, and
- Loved the unaccustomed positive feedback she received from her colleagues and superiors
Now, imagine if this small change could be replicated across your whole organisation. Imagine if your whole team – from secretaries upward – were able to consistently make some small changes to the way they prepare their emails: business would move so much more smoothly for you.
Decisions would be made more quickly, there would be less frustration and more people would feel good about themselves at work.
And then extrapolate that further to think that the same techniques could be applied to other documents: board papers, steering committee papers and other presentations.
Imagine – an email-based productivity revolution.
In Clarity First we help people cut the amount of time it takes to both their communication – in any format, including email.
Clients tell me they cut the amount of time it takes to prepare important communication in half. Sometimes more.
They are also more likely to be promoted as their good ideas get the traction they deserve.
Why not check us out?
Clarity First is the most affordable top-tier program you will find.
PRESENTED BY DAVINA STANLEY
I love what I do.
I help senior leaders and their teams prepare high-quality papers and presentations in a fraction of the time.
This involves 'nailing' the message that will quickly engage decision makers in the required outcome.
I leverage 25+ years' experience including
- learning structured thinking techniques at McKinsey in Hong Kong in the mid 1990s before coaching and training their teams globally as a freelancer for a further 15 years
- being approved to teach the Pyramid Principle by Barbara Minto in 2009
- helping CEOs, C-suite leaders and their reports deeply understand their stakeholder needs and communicate accordingly
- seeing leaders cut the number of times they review major papers by ~30% and teams cut the amount of time they take to prepare major papers by ~20%*
- watching senior meetings focus on substantive discussions and better decisions rather than trying to clarify the issue
My approach helps anyone who needs to engage senior leaders and Boards.
Recent clients include 7Eleven, KPMG, Mercer, Meta, Woolworths.
Learn more at www.clarityfirstprogram.com
(*) Numbers are based on 2023 client benchmarking results.