Have your senior leaders ever told you they have been ‘swept away' by your recent paper?
It was a first for my client, a Chief of Staff at a national brand too. She was thrilled when her Chief Legal Officer said he was ‘swept away' by her recent SLT paper.
Nobody had ever said something like that about her communication before.
This drew out a fabulous discussion about the difference between being ‘clear' and being ‘compelling' in our communication.
If we communicate clearly, our audience understands us with relative ease.
If we communicate in a way that is compelling, our audience is engrossed in our material. Swept away, even.
But, how to make the shift from being understood, to sweeping our audience away?
It helps to understand what I call the value ladder, which describes the difference between the value individual statements within our communication offer.
It sounds like my client was operating at the ‘artistry' level.
Here's a challenge for you: take a look at the last few papers you have delivered.
- How would you rate them?
- What could you do to lift them up a level so they deliver more value?
I hope that helps. Have a great week.
Podcast Series: From Idea to Impact
Episode 1 – Avoiding common communication traps
Episode 2 – Communicating insight vs information
Episode 3 – Delivering communication is the easy part
Episode 4 – The value of thinking top down
Episode 5 – How to get the information you need to deliver powerful communication
Episode 6 – How to collaborate for greater clarity and productivity
Please do tell your friends and colleagues about them too.
PRESENTED BY DAVINA STANLEY
I love what I do.
I help senior leaders and their teams prepare high-quality papers and presentations in a fraction of the time.
This involves 'nailing' the message that will quickly engage decision makers in the required outcome.
I leverage 25+ years' experience including
- learning structured thinking techniques at McKinsey in Hong Kong in the mid 1990s before coaching and training their teams globally as a freelancer for a further 15 years
- being approved to teach the Pyramid Principle by Barbara Minto in 2009
- helping CEOs, C-suite leaders and their reports deeply understand their stakeholder needs and communicate accordingly
- seeing leaders cut the number of times they review major papers by ~30% and teams cut the amount of time they take to prepare major papers by ~20%*
- watching senior meetings focus on substantive discussions and better decisions rather than trying to clarify the issue
My approach helps anyone who needs to engage senior leaders and Boards.
Recent clients include 7Eleven, KPMG, Mercer, Meta, Woolworths.
Learn more at www.clarityfirstprogram.com
(*) Numbers are based on 2023 client benchmarking results.