Do you struggle to make time for strategic thinking?
Most of my clients tell me they do, and I also find it a challenge. It is so easy to be swept away by the ‘now', the urgent requests for things to be delivered.
The busyness can feel satisfying as we tick things off lists. However, it leaves us open to the risk of delivering more ‘stuff' and less ‘impact'.
In a communication sense, it leaves people reworking papers late at night because they haven't allowed time to think during the day. This is particularly so for those who lead teams and realise late in the piece that their team's papers need an overhaul before being fit for purpose.
My collaborator, Richard Medcalf of XQuadrant, has helped me enormously in this regard and I am excited to tell you about his upcoming book.
Making Time for Strategy offers deceptively simple yet ‘real world' achievable techniques that have shifted my perspective, my behaviour and my results.
In this latest episode of my new Cutting Through podcast I share my first of six interviews with Richard that share some of the insights from his book.
You can listen on your favourite podcasting platform, or on my website >>
I hope that helps. More next week.
Thinking Skills Workshop
Learn how to connect the dots between complex ideas so you can prepare insightful and engaging communication.
In this 2-hour workshop I introduce the core thinking skills that underpin our ability to deliver insight rather than just ‘information'. During this interactive workshop you will
- Learn the basis for structuring a compelling business story
- Practice three core thinking skills that will set your communication apart from others
- Leverage our seven most-commonly used story structuring patterns
- Work in a small group to rework a short prose communication
Only 20 places are offered to allow me to answer everyone's questions.
Has this happened to you?You have an important...
TLDR: The answer is to provide less information...
How often do you outline your desired outcome as...
When we talk about deeply understanding our...
Do you wonder what to write those boxes in the...
I write this to you having just wrapped up a...
PRESENTED BY DAVINA STANLEY
I love what I do.
I help senior leaders and their teams prepare high-quality papers and presentations in a fraction of the time.
This involves 'nailing' the message that will quickly engage decision makers in the required outcome.
I leverage 25+ years' experience including
- learning structured thinking techniques at McKinsey in Hong Kong in the mid 1990s before coaching and training their teams globally as a freelancer for a further 15 years
- being approved to teach the Pyramid Principle by Barbara Minto in 2009
- helping CEOs, C-suite leaders and their reports deeply understand their stakeholder needs and communicate accordingly
- seeing leaders cut the number of times they review major papers by ~30% and teams cut the amount of time they take to prepare major papers by ~20%*
- watching senior meetings focus on substantive discussions and better decisions rather than trying to clarify the issue
My approach helps anyone who needs to engage senior leaders and Boards.
Recent clients include 7Eleven, KPMG, Mercer, Meta, Woolworths.
Learn more at www.clarityfirstprogram.com
(*) Numbers are based on 2023 client benchmarking results.