There haven't been many times in my career when I have felt like a ‘human dartboard' but teaching one group of lawyers most certainly felt that way.
In a good way!
There is something fantastic about helping people who are engaged enough to actually test me.
They pretty much litigated every idea I shared with them as a form of sport. Not only was the workshop loaded with fun and banter, they helped me fine tune the quality of my ideas.
This is one of the many things covered in a recent podcast interview on the Investing for Life podcast with Douglas Isles from Platinum Asset Management.
We discuss a diverse range of topics including:
- How it all started on an 800-acre potato farm on the Victorian border, before continuing in Adelaide as a teacher
- Shifting gears in Hong Kong to join McKinsey and – at one point – across four countries in 12 months with two children under three
- Setting up in Australia to establish Clarity First, Clarity Thought Partners and write The So What Strategy.
- How I think about professional communication.
This is less serious than most professional podcasts, and one I hope you find enjoyable.
>> Click here to listen or visit Investing for Life on your preferred podcasting app.
PS – Look out for news about my own communication podcast, Cutting Through, which will start in the coming weeks.
PRESENTED BY DAVINA STANLEY
I love what I do.
I help senior leaders and their teams prepare high-quality papers and presentations in a fraction of the time.
This involves 'nailing' the message that will quickly engage decision makers in the required outcome.
I leverage 25+ years' experience including
- learning structured thinking techniques at McKinsey in Hong Kong in the mid 1990s before coaching and training their teams globally as a freelancer for a further 15 years
- being approved to teach the Pyramid Principle by Barbara Minto in 2009
- helping CEOs, C-suite leaders and their reports deeply understand their stakeholder needs and communicate accordingly
- seeing leaders cut the number of times they review major papers by ~30% and teams cut the amount of time they take to prepare major papers by ~20%*
- watching senior meetings focus on substantive discussions and better decisions rather than trying to clarify the issue
My approach helps anyone who needs to engage senior leaders and Boards.
Recent clients include 7Eleven, KPMG, Mercer, Meta, Woolworths.
Learn more at www.clarityfirstprogram.com
(*) Numbers are based on 2023 client benchmarking results.