We talk a lot about the clarity of communication. To me that means how easy it is for a person in our audience to grasp what we are saying.
This is, I suggest, only ground level for powerful business communication.
The next level is to deliver a high-quality message. By my way of thinking this is a message that is not just clear, but which delivers significant value.
In most situations this requires a good degree of synthesis, and I thought sharing four key questions we ask might help you assess the quality of your own communication.
To test the quality of our messaging, we ask ourselves what level of message we have used.
- Level 1 – Is this a piece of data? A piece of data is a fact. For example, '10 widgets'. This is not a message, but rather a stand alone piece of information.
- Level 2 – Is this a topic? A topic is a category, eg ‘Options'. This explains what you are discussing, but not what you are saying. On its own, it is not a quality message.
- Level 3 – Is this a summary? A summary is useful when explaining what you found in some analysis. For example: “We sold 10 widgets more last week than we have sold over the past year”. It is an observation and tells you what your data set ‘says'.
- Level 4 – Is this a powerful message? A powerful message delivers the most value of any. It synthesises, which means it draws an inference from the information and says what it means. It involves taking a risk and is where the value lies.
I encourage you to review the three most recent pieces of communication you have prepared and assess what level your communication was at.
If you find very few level 4 messages ask yourself why and see if you can level them up in your next piece.
I hope that helps and look forward to bringing you more next week.
PS – Early Bird Registrations open next weekend
I will open Clarity First for Early Bird registrations next weekend. Early Birds can enjoy the following:
- Intensive Pathway – almost 2 extra months of small group coaching and time to complete your pre-work before the workshops begin in September.
- Classic Pathway – start learning at your own pace and join our regular small group coaching sessions.
- Foundation Pathway – start learning at your own pace and schedule 1-1 coaching with me. 2 spaces only available.
PRESENTED BY DAVINA STANLEY
Davina has helped smart people all over the world clarify and communicate complex ideas for 20+ years.
She began this work when she joined McKinsey & Company as a communication specialist in Hong Kong where she helped others use the Minto Pyramid PrincipleⓇ.
She continued helping others when living in New York, Tokyo and now back in Australia where she was approved by Barbara Minto herself to teach Pyramid.
Her clients include experts across many disciplines across Australia, Asia Pacific, New Zealand, the UK and the US. She currently coaches a number of C-suite executives as well as many mid-level folk and the occasional graduate.
Get her 4 Tips for Communicating Complex Ideas here.