I was a bit nervous during my recent lunch with Dr Matt Lohmeyer of Negotiation Partners.
I foolishly (?) said that sometimes people tell me that I don't only help with their communication, but also with their ability to negotiate.
I was referring to the way I help people work out what to include in a storyline and how to socialise a recommendation to gain stakeholder support.
Thankfully he wasn't offended!
It did lead to a terrific discussion that led to me inviting him to speak at next week's free workshop: Busting 3 Business Negotiation Myths.
Let me explain why I invite him to speak: the obvious, the curious and the ideas.
The obvious: he's deeply experience with something relevant to say. Matt has been helping executives build their negotiation skills for decades in Australia and elsewhere. He ‘gets my people' and has a genuine desire to help people build their skills and an intelligence that helps get the job done.
The curious: he has a practical counter-intuitive ‘take' on his subject. A number of his ideas run counter to some of the popular views I see on social media at the moment. The first one that drew me in was this:
Always find a way to say yes, and define the terms that would work for you.
I liked how that approach reduces the need to hide in a mental ‘us and them' bunker and flips my mindset toward finding a solution.
The ideas: he debunked many of my assumptions. Matt debunked a long list of business negotiation myths that seem helpful to me. We whittled that list to three for the upcoming workshop:
- It’s about getting a win-win deal (it's not!)
- Never split the difference (forget what you may have read!)
- Start by settling the easy issues to build rapport before tackling the more challenging issues (not necessarily!)
We'd be delighted if you join us and provide any questions you may have for Matt in the registration form.
To be clear, we're not selling anything. Just having a ‘good yarn' and sharing some ideas that we hope will help you.
We hope to see you there.
>> Register here.
PS – a ‘yarn' is Australian slang for a terrific conversation. I hope you will be able to join us.
PRESENTED BY DAVINA STANLEY
I love what I do.
I help senior leaders and their teams prepare high-quality papers and presentations in a fraction of the time.
This involves 'nailing' the message that will quickly engage decision makers in the required outcome.
I leverage 25+ years' experience including
- learning structured thinking techniques at McKinsey in Hong Kong in the mid 1990s before coaching and training their teams globally as a freelancer for a further 15 years
- being approved to teach the Pyramid Principle by Barbara Minto in 2009
- helping CEOs, C-suite leaders and their reports deeply understand their stakeholder needs and communicate accordingly
- seeing leaders cut the number of times they review major papers by ~30% and teams cut the amount of time they take to prepare major papers by ~20%*
- watching senior meetings focus on substantive discussions and better decisions rather than trying to clarify the issue
My approach helps anyone who needs to engage senior leaders and Boards.
Recent clients include 7Eleven, KPMG, Mercer, Meta, Woolworths.
Learn more at www.clarityfirstprogram.com
(*) Numbers are based on 2023 client benchmarking results.