TLDR: The answer is to provide less information and more insight around a specific point of view.
Do you ever worry about a lack of trust between you and your senior folk? Perhaps these are the sorts of things that happen when you present?
- You receive more questions than answers, with the worst of these meetings feeling more like an inquisition than a conversation.
- The discussion gets lost in rabbit holes than focusing on the main game.
- You leave meetings without the clarity and decisions you need to get on with delivering value.
It is easy to feel that these behaviours point to a lack of trust.
While that may be true, the real question is what to do about it.
In my experience, the best solution is to avoid requests for more information by providing greater insight in the first place. Here’s how.
- Take the time to understand what you really need to provide to the leaders in that specific interaction to drive progress. This requires deep thought about your commercial reality as well as about your stakeholders.
- Focus every communication around one single powerful point of view, no matter how complex the material. If you can't say it in a sentence, you aren't ready to convey it.
- Declutter your communication by only including items that support that point of view. This will be a forcing device to confirm your point of view is the right one and that you are focusing on what together you must deliver for the organisation.
This requires not only courage, but extreme clarity about what is really needed to get the outcome you need to drive progress.
Learn more about how to go about this by:
- Tiny step – grab my free 10 minutes to better emails course which adopts the same principles for micro communication. Free mini course.
- Bigger step – learn more about my Board Paper Bootcamp program. Learn to create extreme clarity for yourself and your Board.
I hope that helps, more soon.
PS – Can I ask a favour?
I need to lift my profile on LinkedIn so I can become a LinkedIn course creator. I need to triple my followers to reach their benchmark.
As part of this campaign, I’ll be posting more ideas on this platform too, so there will be something in it for you also.
Thanks so much!